Sunday, April 13, 2008

Thursday, April 10 - Martin's Birthday

Martin turned 16 today.

This is a hard place to turn 16. The driving age is 18. There is nowhere to get presents. His present was a trip home to Columbus two weeks ago. But, I hoped we managed to make the best of it we could.

Everything we buy to eat here is frozen. This makes planning meals difficult for me. When we don't plan a day in advance we have pancakes and eggs. This is what you can make in 20 minutes without prep.

While I was home, Deneen wanted me to see if I could find our waffle maker. It was sitting on top of my mom's refrigerator. I was able to pack this in my luggage.

On Thursday, we invited our neighbors over for waffles. This was Martin's birthday party. Father Amanti came over with Paul, a missionary who is staying at the Catholic house across the street. Deborah and Thomas came over as well.

The party was set for Thursday at 7:00am because that's when the priests could come. For our housing complex, this makes sense. But when I told some other people this I had to explain that the priests coming were not indicative of anything about Martin turning 16.

The party was a lot of fun. This was the first time in years that Deborah and Thomas had had waffles. Paul loved the waffles as this had been the first "American" type food he had had in months. Deneen loved having the company, and a dinner that was not consumed by juvenile male conversation for once.

Deborah and Thomas gave Martin sailing lessons for his birthday.

No comments: