Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Cool Beans

We went to get Ice cream last night at Cool Beans. Deneen was bored and wanted to get out of the house. She thinks that I made it sound worse than it is here. Its not that things are not available. Its that I am not willing to pay for them. Cool Beans is a cool little place that sells six kinds of ice cream. The flavors change each day. When a flavor is gone, its gone. It is very good. Probably even better in that it is a special treat. Not something that is readily available. It has only been open since late September.

On the cruise ship all of the food was free. We started eating at 7:30. I would get a plate full of fruit. You could also get a plate full of bacon. Lunch was served buffet style, or you could order Chinese food, or get a hamburger from the grill, or get a sandwich from the deli, or all of the above. We ate hamburgers from the grill a lot, they were very good. We ate dinner at the early seating, 5:45. You needed to dress nicely at dinner and they were long. We went to our assigned table three nights. It was crazy. Lobster and steak for everybody. One of each desert. Davis tried many different foods. When he did not like the seafood medley we ordered another steak. He did eat mussels and lots of shrimp. Our waiter brought him two and three shrimp cocktails every night. The pizza shop was open twenty four hours a day. We would get pizza in the evening. At 11:15 we all met at a specific table on the aft deck and ate French fries from the grill, pizza, and ice cream. The average cruise passenger gains seven pounds. I only gained six. So it was good that we got off early.

In our house on Grand Turk the cupboards are pretty bare. There is a lot of tea in the house from the last occupant, though. We drank a lot of tea before. But we really drink a lot of tea here. Tea is the new snack food.

I am sitting in the living room. I will ask the family what they think about the food in the house. Lucas says "Its gooood." Deneen says, "you get what you pay for," but I have no idea what that even means. Martin says, "I love my family." Davis says, "I love chics that are hot." This is what I live with. Ridiculousness.

Every day a cruise ship docks in Grand Turk. I am sure that the 3000 passengers throw away as much food as the population of Grand Turks eats in a day. We ate so much ice cream that it didn't even taste good. The ice cream at Cool Beans was a small portion, but it honestly was some of the best ice cream that I have ever eaten. We decided we would get ice cream once a week.It was 85 degrees today. We went snorkeling this evening and ate on the screen porch. It is 9:30 and we are getting ready for bed. Deneen says that I have spent more time with the family this week than I have in the last three years.

No comments: