Monday, August 2, 2010

Happy Birthday

Yesterday was my birthday. Yesterday was also the first day of Lobster season. Today is Emancipation Day, a public holiday celebrating the reading of the Emancipation Act in 1835, which abolished slavery throughout the British Empire.

This was the third birthday I have spent on Grand Turk. The first, in 2008, I was alone and I went down and sat in with Mitch at the Salt Raker, last year the boys and I went diving as part of a television show called Turquoise Morning. This year, we have just been cleaning all weekend. Cleaning out closets and drawers. Trying to remove the junk that you accumulate in three years. Its a lot of junk.

We dove on Saturday with some new friends we met last week. Mike and Edie and their two kids are staying on Grand Turk for two weeks getting their dive certs. Yesterday evening we went over to the East Side of Grand Turk and caught two lobsters and killed a lion fish. We grilled hamburgers, lobster, and conch over at the apartment they are renting.

Last weekend was the lion fish tournament. There were 146 lion fish caught on Grand Turk. Lucas and I went out with Mitch from Blue Water. We were in the water for three hours and did not see a single lion fish. I was hoping to win the tournament! We did not register a single kill.

It was a Bummer.

No comments: