Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Last Great Day

This weekend was amazing...

the last good weather day before winter.

I hiked to the top of Bunker Hill.

Dutch Harbor is one of the only two places in the US to be attacked by a foreign power. The other place is Pearl Harbor. Maybe you have heard of it.

The evidence of the US occupation of Unalaska is everywhere. It reminds me a lot of my visit to Normandy in 1994. There are concrete pillboxes every 100 hundred yards or so. Bunker Hill is the main observation post that coordinated the fire of the main guns out to sea. The concrete bunkers are accessible, after a four mile hike, and are really cool...for myself and the industrial archaeologist that I was with.

The view was spectacular...but this was the last really nice day. As I understand it, from now until next summer it will be rainy and foggy.


No comments: