Sunday, March 23, 2008

Easter Sunday

Today is Easter. Good Friday is a holiday here. So is Easter Monday. I went in to work on Friday. There was no one in town and everything was closed. Church was empty today as well.

Easter is a big family weekend for many people in the states. I talked to my mom today and they had a houseful. Here, it seems like everyone uses the long weekend to go off island. Maybe they go see family as well.

At lunch we talked today about what we miss the most. And what we don't miss. On Easter I miss the Sunday breakfast at Hillcrest Baptist Church. Martin and Lucas miss my mothers cinnamon rolls. Deneen misses eating dinner with the family, and Victoria.

Also, the whole family thinks I made everything here seem much worse than it really is. Except the heat, water, and laundry. Actually, I never said things were not available. I have always said that things were too expensive. I think we should be able to do with less, and we do. Deneen said today that it is because I like to live minimal. And she is exactly right. What I have found here, and I think this is what everyone has found, is that everything is better when you have less of it.
Mountain Dew is fantastic here. For the first few weeks we never bought soda pop. Now, we buy a case of 36. We mark each can N, M, L, or D (our initials). The boys have made it a contest to see who's pop can last longer. Deneen noted that she does not get soda, maybe two diet cokes a week. If you knew her, you will understand what kind of change that is. We used to drink two or three cans of pop a day. We now drink two or three a week. And it tastes better.

I like almost everything we eat or do better.

If you look at the picture you can see we also miss haircuts, evidently. These are almost impossible to get here.

No comments: