Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Its Just a Wednesday

I have not written a blog in a long time. I think that is because nothing fun or cool has happened for a couple of weeks. Deneen said that that is not really true. We now just have a regular routine that sounds unimpressive. Yesterday, one of our new staff members commented that they constantly have to remind their friends back home that they work here in the Caribbean, and that comes with all the stresses and struggles that you would have anywhere. After six months, this has become true.

I have had to work a lot, lately. Coming off our last trustee meeting we are gearing up for a couple major projects this summer, and I have to get lots and lots of information together by the end of next month.

Last weekend I worked all day Saturday for the monthly children's program, and then the whole family came in to open the museum on Sunday for high-school students that were here for a national youth parliamentary debate. I am also writing and producing a weekly 5 minute radio program, which was cool for the first six weeks and is now an immense amount of work.

In our personal life: We are trying to work around car issues. We need to remodel a bathroom. And our taxes are due. We are trying to design and install a new gift shop at the museum. We have been buying new product and having all manner of coffee cup and ect. designed, priced, and shipped. For the last two days I have been building and installing gift shop cabinets.

In the midst of this we try and find time to do "islandy" kind of things. A couple days a week we go to the cruise center and swim in the million gallon pool. On Thursday afternoons we go to White Sands Beach where Davis has a trapeze lesson - I should probably put a video of this up.

This weekend Davis and I tried to ride our bikes down the beach in the sand. This did not work. But we found a dead shark. On Monday Davis went back to try and cut the head off of the shark. This did not work either. The skin is too thick to get a knife into.

Three times in the last two weeks we have pulled over on our way home to watch the sunset. They have been extraordinary this month.

Today, I worked until 7:00 building gift shop cabinets. We only have one car and gas just went up to $5.65 so we try and limit driving. Deneen took me to work this morning. So I walked home just after the sun set.

The walk is three miles down the beach, which is way more direct then taking the roads. I have not walked it before. Halfway between the museum and our house is a resort hotel with a restaurant and bar called the Bohio. Seas were rough. During the 45 minute walk in the nearly full moon I did not see another person. I have been stressed by many things this month, but this was cool.

We are having pancakes for dinner with Maple Syrup that Elaine brought back from Canada yesterday. Tonight Survivor is on, so we are watching that. It is spring break, but Martin and Lucas have been attending the Baptist Union Youth Conference all week. They get up and go at 6:00 am and return home at 10:00pm. It is like an all day church service. They are getting to meet many kids from several islands, but it sounds long to me. Tonight they got home at 11:00 after I went to bed. Lucas reminded us that that they had been at church for 16 hours.

Tomorrow, there are two cruise ships in. I am leaving work at 2:00 to go down to White Sands, which evidently is our new hangout.

1 comment:

bryanhitch said...

My brother and his family live in the Caribbean. That's just a cool thing to say. Thanks for the update. It's Good Friday but Sunday's coming!