Thursday, May 19, 2011

Provenience or Provenance

Do I only write about the fun stuff? If so, it makes sense that I could write so much on Grand Turk. And why I have not written very much here in the last couple of weeks.

I have had about a year of museum studies in the last eight weeks. I have been reading everyday about Collections Management, Curatorial Procedures, and this week, Labels. I have written a thesis worth of documents.

Provenience or provenance. That is what I am doing this evening. From the French provenant, which is from the Latin prōvenīre; to come from.

I sent documents out today to some other museums. I have "provenience" written all over them. Probably, in museumology, the documents should have said "provenance." Provenience is specific to archaeology. Probably why it was never caught in editing.

I don't know. Strictly speaking, maybe where I am provenience is going to make more sense to who is going to use my documents than provenance, which kind of sounds like a French word used by pretentious art curators. Ok, I'll go with that.

Ugh! I want to write about the fun stuff!

No comments: