Friday, June 23, 2017

Wishing for Better Friends

I was complaining this week that I wish I had friends who were artists and designers. Or friends who were designers and friends who were better artists. But then Lucas reminded me that we are all walking around with pretty cool designer couture back backs made by one of my friends.


They are pretty cool, and in the last couple of weeks we have realized how well designed they are. Davis is living out of one during the week, and camping of it every weekend all summer in Yellowstone National Park. Though compact and light weight, the pack was big enough to get everything he took for the summer. And it looks really cool.

Lucas had one on the Pacific Crest Trail. It was 11 pounds fully loaded, nearly ultralight. This canvas pack has an integrated sleeping pad built in as the back and side support. He loved it.

Yesterday, he packed it for Hungary. He said it packed up like a vacuum bag. He could not believe how much he got in it. And it still condensed enough to meet requirements of a personal bag on his flight.


















Michael Field made these bags under the design name Bagriculture. He is the lead exhibit designer at the San Diego Natural History Museum. They are one-of-a-kind bags and all hand made. They are light weight and durable, made specifically for overnight desert hiking.

So, maybe I am just overlooking how cool some of my designer friends really are. I will have to think about that when I am in Hungary next week.

No comments: