Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Rebuilding

I have never really liked cars. I mean not like guys who "like" cars. I don't read about them. I don't now what new engines are being put in what new cars.

But this week I have found out something about myself. I love Jeeps.

Deneen and I had a Suzuki Samurai for eleven years. She bought it new in 1988 in Chicago. At our 20th high school reunion a friend came in a restored Samurai. I have been looking for one ever since. A new Samurai in 1988 cost $5,900.00. I just looked at a 1988 Suzuki Samurai for sale in Pasadena, California. It is $5,800.

We had to get a new car this week. After searching for what seemed like forever, we bought a new Jeep Wrangler.
I had a 1989 Jeep Wrangler on Provo that I drove for a little more than a year. This Jeep may have been the worst car on the island. The gas gauge did not work so you never knew how much gas you had, and if you drove more than 20 minutes at a time the brakes would overheat and gradually lock up until you had to stop. But I loved driving it.

In Defense of Food, Michael Pollan makes a statement that vitamins may not actually do anything for your health, but people who take vitamins are much healthier than people who don't. So, he says, be the "kind of person who takes vitamins."

Most people who drive a Jeep don't really need a Jeep. I think that we will actually need Jeeps in the Imperial Valley, but none the less, I have always wanted to be the "kind of person" who drives a Jeep.

No comments: