Saturday, September 10, 2016

Selfie Station, Maybe

At the Museum of the Aleutians there is a gallery that is designed to tell the history of the fishing industry and the Coast Guard, but it does this very ineffectively. The panels are arranged in an awkward layout, 1/4th of the room is devoted to a ship model, most all of the interpretation is from a 45-minute video that plays on a loop, and there is a strange area (half of the room) devoted to a fake ship deck sort of looking thing. There is also rain gear hung on the wall.

I think this exhibit area was designed as a selfie station, or at least a photo op. But there are no signs, directions, or indications that you are supposed to try on the rain gear.  In fact, in the three weeks I have been here 1,554 visitors have come through the building, and I have never seen someone put on the rain gear. Visitor stay tine in this part of the exhibit is the lowest of all the galleries.

I brought this up to the one person I have hired on staff so far, and she did not know what I was talking about. So we took turns trying it out to see if I was right.

Deneen said it looked fake. I reminded her that it is totally fake.  

No comments: