Monday, February 16, 2009

Whale Song

On Thursday morning I heard whales while diving.

Jesse told me that people have been hearing them this week, but you can only hear them deep. At around 100 feet I started hearing this faint moan. I thought it was my tank releasing air. I held my breath. Two tones, but they just sounded so mechanical and constant. Breath out. Hold breath. So mechanical and constant. Breath out. Hold breath. So mechanical and constant. So faint. It has to be my tank.

Then, the unmistakable whale song. OOOoooOO. OOOOoooo. This story I is much better when I get to do the sound effects. This was a first for me and very cool.

When we came back up to the boat Jesse said that the whales had been close and he was looking for them to swim up near us. This did not happen, but the idea is pretty cool.

I know that when you read this you are thinking how is this literally working all the time. But I am writing an article on a painting of Grand Turk and wanted to see the view from a boat. Aslo, Leah needed to sketch the reefs so she needed to get to the wall to snorkel.

No comments: