Sunday, September 6, 2009

Anniversaries

I keep waiting for something exciting to write about. Today, I tried to go diving but Smitty must be off island because there was no 11:00 dive boat. Then I came home and practiced using the SeaDoo for an hour. The SeaDoo is a small self-propulsion device for snorkeling. In any other world it would be a very cool, James Bondish instrument of total exhilaration.

I have bought two for the Ft. George archaeological survey and I am trying to get adept on the tool so that I don't come off as some sort of novice maritime archaeology shovel bum graduate student. Today I had a pretty good ride.

But what is today that is so important, you ask?

I almost forgot until a few minutes ago. Today, in fact, is the one year anniversary of of Hurricane Ike, and therefore, is also the end of my second year on Grand Turk. A couple days ago, we were gearing up for Tropical Storm Erika, which looked like it was going to hit us directly on the anniversary of Ike. But, no. This storm broke up and it is in fact a very beautiful day in the Caribbean. I actually got sunburned today. An unfortunate event that has only happened three times since I have been here.

Other than that, it has been a fairly uneventful day. I spent yesterday watching the OSU game. This will be the first season I have watched in two years. When we came to Grand Turk in 2007 we did not get TV until February. And last year we had a big hurricane the first week of September that ruined the season.

Saturday was good. I put on my OSU shirt and ball cap. I called Dave Horn expecting him to be sitting at the game. I made hotwings. And then I stood in the living room yelling at the television.

This probably would have seemed strange to Jessica, but fortunately on Friday night we watched the HBO documentary on the OSU vs Michigan rivalry and I seemed nothing more than some historical cliche of a typical Ohio native, or pseudo-native in my case.

So other than that, typical day. We are sitting on the porch listening to the staccato punctuations of portable keyboards accompanied by multiple versions of Don't Stop Believing from the Fox television show Glee. Both Jessica and I are waxing poetically about our current situations in the Caribbean. She slightly more melodramatic while I probably am more reflective. But I am also preparing for the Wednesday night premier of the newest hit series television show.

Today reminds me very much of two years ago...it is really hot today.

In a minute I think I will be off to delivery the platter...

No comments: