Monday, September 14, 2009

Can you ever get tired of this?

The answer, I guess, is yes. Traveling aways sounds so great, and please don't get me wrong, it is far better than real work. But blah, another weekend at a posh world class resort! Please, I would rather be home watching football.

Oh, well we did watch football. At Jimmy's Dive Bar. They were having a lobster boil. And though we got there too late to participate(this would be a better story had we not gone to Hemingway's on the Beach, yet another resort restaurant, for appetizers). Yet, I still ran into a friend who was very much a Bears fan and we had a pleasent evening while everyone else ate lobster.

So, let me back up.

Yesterday, I picked up Tiffany at the airport in Provo. Nothing exciting about this. But when we got into the car that picked us up, David says,"Did you hear? Nikki Beach closed this week."

Yes, that is right. My all time favorite resort destination that I can not afford, closed. Evidently, they showed up to work one day and were told don't come back tomorrow. Same with guests. Here is their Facebook announcement:

"Nikki Beach Turks and Caicos was suddenly closed. “We are very sad to announce that Leeward Resort Ltd, the underlying owners of the property development in Turks and Caicos has gone into receivership and closed without warning. Nikki Beach Resort in ...Turks and Caicos was a management contract whereas Nikki Beach did not own the development and is out of our control. We are very sorry for any inconvenience.""

What a bummer.

It is evidently hitting the fan here. But what is bad for some is good for others?

I booked rooms through Travelocity at the Royal West Indies for $130 a night. This is CRAZY. The Royal West Indies has my favorite pool in the world. It is a small amorphously shaped garden pool with a waterfall cascading over a natural local limestone wall. I can hear the water lulling me into tranquility now. It is right outside my second story Botanical Studio with kitchenette room.

We are on Provo for two days trying to complete one museum project and picking up yet another. Everyone thinks Provo is a vacation. But for me it the most stressful part of my job. It is near constant work when I am here. Meetings, meetings, meetings.

I have to go. It is 10:00 already. I want to get to the pool before my lunch meeting at the award winning Mango Reef restaurant and then it if off for 3:00 tea at Beaches resort and spa. Just kidding...or am I?

No comments: