Sunday, January 24, 2010

Finally, Something New..A Shark

I have spent a lot of this week in the water. New cruise excursion descriptions are due. Rather than waiting for companies to come to us, we are writing several new tours and we are going to shop them around. Rory is writing these, and we are trying to get four new tours online. The big goal has been to find a shipwreck we can snorkel on. OK, but let me get ahead of myself...

Yesterday, Rory and I went to snorkel the area just below the lighthouse. I said before we went in that this is the area people talk about seeing the scary things. We had been in the water maybe ten minutes when I came across the largest barracuda I have ever seen here. He was real close to the cliffs, in pretty shallow water. I watched him swim off toward Rory, and then I thought I saw him come back, except this was not the barracuda. This was a lemon shark. The shark was small, maybe four feet and again in really shallow water. He was grey and just blended into the shadows. He passed by in a few feet to the side of me and then made three other passes. I got out of the water.

Cool. This was a first. Along our beach I have seen spotted eagle rays three times this week. We have also removed another four lion fish. But this was the first real shark I have seen snorkeling on Grand Turk.

OK, the rest of my week seems less interesting now. I could have written several blogs. We have found a ton of information on the David Morris, found that the area in front of the museum was a "wrecking yard," where ships were brought to take apart. And we found a wreck I have never heard about right off of Close Haul Road. Maybe later I will post the new tour descriptions. That will give you an idea of what my week has been like.

No comments: