Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Yesterday's Earthquake

There was a 7.1 magnitude earthquake in Haiti yesterday at 5:00pm. I am sure that everyone has heard about it. I have been on Provo and really only got the message because when I went back to my hotel room there was a flier under my door that said something like. "Don't worry, the tsunami watch is over and you will be safe at our hotel!"

Then I turned on CNN and got the news like everyone else.

Anyway, we are fine here. I heard from someone that they felt the tremors on Pine Cay, but I did not notice anything at all. I called Aliette, on my staff, from Provo. She has heard from her mother and sister who are in Haiti and they are fine.

We will see what the fallout is in the next few days. This is a beautiful part of the world that is fragile from many things. Over the long-term, development - in a heartbeat, natural catastrophe.

Deneen and the boys left yesterday. They made it home safe and were at school today. There is a story there I will try and catch up on later. But, I thought today that it would have been a great story if they would have left on the last plane out of Provo just before a tsunami wiped out the Turks and Caicos. That would have made a great blog.

No comments: